Tuesday 15 May 2012

In which I work some Carrickmacross Lace

Mr P and I visited Helmsley recently, and I picked up a copy of White Work Embroidery by Barbara Dawson (Batsford) in a charity shop. Yes, I know I don't need any more craft books, but it was a Batsford book for £2.50!  And I didn't know anything about white work, so how else could I learn?!

Anyway.  It's a very good book, a sort of A-Z on white work.  I rather liked the look of Carrickmacross lace, and thought I'd have a bash at it.  You applique muslin on to net, couching it down, and then cut away the muslin that isn't part of the design.  So I doodled a design of some birds holding a key, and over the weekend I made this:

 It's on a blue background to show off the white work.  I'm rather pleased with it as a first attempt!  I also used little buttonhole eyelets in the design, they were fun to embroider.


4 comments:

  1. That looks lovely! I'd never heard of this technique before and seeing this, I'm really inspired to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's really quite easy - if you can couch, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great - you have inspired me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete