Wednesday 17 October 2012

In which I geek out like a big geeky geek

I'm going to be meeting three of my heroes this autumn.  I'm getting a bit overexcited.

Mr X Stitch is going to be at the Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate from 22 to 25 November.  I think it's the first time he's done the Harrogate show!  His site is a proper good resource for stitch art and he's done loads in bringing embroidery to the public attention.  He's also involved in Fine Cell Work which is a brilliant organisation, taking embroidery into prisons.

I'm going to pull up my big girl panties and go to a comic festival for the first time.  Thought Bubble is in Leeds from 11 to 18 November, and John Allison and Kate Beaton will be there.  Holy cow.

Kate Beaton's Hark a Vagrant is just the best comic website out there.  She is a fabulous illustrator and her jokes are always funny.  Full stop.  But John Allison... his comics Scarygoround and Bad Machinery have been a huge part of my life.  I've read them every day (Mon - Fri) for nine years.  I identify so much with Scarygoround's Shelly Winters - she's a tiny maniac.  This comic expresses so much of my own anxiety - when I read it for the first time I had tears in my eyes.  And his current Bad Machinery stories are just some of the best stuff he's ever written - his plots and characters are great.

So, heroes.  I just hope I don't make too much of an eedjit of myself in front of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment