She mentioned she's really into saturated, vivid colours at the moment, so I decided to make something really bright. I've been interested in seahorses for years, and decided to have a bash at embroidering one. I looked at loads of pics on the internet, and sketched some composite seahorses. The tough bit was how many ridges there are on a seahorse! They're made up of bony ridges, so to look good this embroidery would have to have some good texture. Here it is.
I used little French knots for the high points of the ridges, and different shades for the lines between the knots. One line is a slightly lighter colour than the background shade, and one line is slightly darker. The dorsal fin is satin stitch, and the background stitches are long and short. I think I used nine shades of orange for the little seahorse - they were all already in my embroidery box. And a couple of greens for the seaweed. The background fabric was a bit of batik from my fabric box. The frame is 4 inches by 3 inches, to give an idea of scale.